Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. Portrait gallery of the Ottoman Sultans from Osman onwards
2. Expansion of the Ottoman Empire - colour map (good if you can print it out for your notes)
3. Mimar Sinan
4. The Ottomans Suleiman page focuses on his magnificence, with a particularly interesting section on the role of Sinan's Architecture here
5. The Ottomans - University of Calgary site; Suleiman section largely focuses on Foreign Policy / Roxelana
6. The Ottomans.org - Another brilliantly detailed site
7. The Suleymaniye Mosque Tour
9. The Topkapi Museum - The former palace of the sultans; this site is richly illustrated with photographs from the palace and its artefacts
10. The Ottomans - An excellent source of pictures in particular, but also very impressive in its analysis of the different ministers of government in the Empire, and the role of Jews. The section on Decline is also very good
11. Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent
12. BBC - Religions - Islam: Ottoman Empire (1301-1922)
13. The Ottoman Empire - E-book from Mannheim University
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam