Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
Students are provided with information about the League's procedures and institions which they then have to turn into a diagram. There is also a teacher version of this worksheet available, providing a diagram of the League's structure.
Students analyse the successes and failures of border disputes. There are teacher notes available.
Border Disputes - Extension Task
Cartoons analysis. Some teacher notes are available.
At this point it is good to show the students this Soviet video called "Why Wars Happen?" - it follows on well from the "War of the Stray Dog"
Students organise the social successes of the League into appropriate categories.
Disarmament in the 1920s: A Classroom Roleplay Exercise
There is an introductory video to start this topic.
Using this worksheet and this record sheet, students are given different sources from different witnesses and have to analyse their position on the issue of disarmament. They then 'interview' each other by moving around the classroom, trying to reach a judgement on the key question of "Who was to blame for the failure of disarmament in the 1920s?". There are important teacher notes and sources that should be downloaded for this activity.
If you prefer a more straightforward approach to the teaching of disarmament, there is a structured worksheet you can use instead.
Agreements reached outside the League
These agreements were reached outside the League, but were ratified by it. The worksheet helps students to organise them into key categories.
Structured question task
Students complete a three-part structured question in the style of the IGCSE examination. There is a model answer available for teachers.
1. Why has Germany taken so long to pay off its WWI debt? Germany is finally paying off World War I reparations, with the last 70 million euro (£60m) payment drawing the debt to a close.2. Briefing: Computer traders blamed for Wall Street crash 3. Germany still owes £50m in reparations for the First World War 4. Glorious 39's scorn for appeasement is unjustified #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net) 5. World War 2: Poland was conspiring with Nazis to destroy Soviet Union, Russia claims 6. Vladimir Putin condemns appeasement of Hitler on 70th anniversary of WW2 outbreak 7. EyeWitness Reports: Watching the start of World War II 8. Stalin's bid for a new world order 9. BBC Viewpoint: The Nazi-Soviet Pact 10. Treaty of Versailles: 90 years old this weekend
1. Peace and War in the 20th Century: Fantastic site for #historyteacher (RT @russeltarr)
2. League of Nations - Everything on League of Nations
3. Baldwin on Disarmament, 1923: "The time is not yet ripe"
4. The League of Nations: Detailed online essay
5. GCSE History: International Relations, 1919-29
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam