Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. The Korean War - Interactive Newsfeed Exercise [Interactive]
Students are presented with a series of "newsfeeds" about the Korean War, which they use to complete this worksheet, and then answer a series of questions.
2. The Korean War - Background and Significance
In this activity, students consider the early events in the war, assess why the Korean War is historically significant, and reflect on the arguments for and against the involvement of the US and the UN.
3. The Korean War - Escalation
After a successful invasion at Inchon led by MacArthur, should the USA settle with "Containment" of communism, or pursue "Rollback" of the communist threat? Students examine the sources and reach their judgements.
The Korean War - The Dismissal of MacArthur
"Rollback" leads to a danger that the war is likely to escalate
into China and even the USSR. Is this a necessary or advisable course of
action? Students decide whether Truman's decision to "back off"
and dismiss the more belligerent MacArthur was a wise decision.
5. The Korean War: Consequences and Conclusion
Students round off their studies with a debate about the "Big Issues"
6. Korean War
Fling the Teacher Quiz
75 possible questions: I like to get all the students playing it
simultaneously, and award 25 points for the first person to finish, 24 for
the next, and so on; over the course of a few weeks you can build up a
"Fling the Teacher Leaderboard" if you play quizzes for different topics!
7. The Korean War: Interactive Cartoon analysis [Interactive]
Analyse a series of cartoons by hovering over details and answering exam-style questions. When you have finished, the computer will provide you with a printout comparing your answer to a model answer. A great way to revise and develop sourcework skills.
8. The Korean War: Collapsible Revision Notes [Interactive]
Interactive notes which can be collapsed or expanded to various levels of detail for revision purposes.
1. Czechoslovak Secret Police photos - great cold war starter
2. Full Video Series Online - Cold War, by CNN (1999)
3. WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West . Maps | PBS
4. Stalin's Interview to "Pravda" Correspondent Concerning Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech
5. Excellent: Cold War International History Project's Cold War Files
6. What Thatcher and Gorbachev really thought when the Berlin Wall came down | Michael Binyon - Times Online
7. Pope John Paul II and Communism
8. People's Century | Teacher's Guide | People Power
9. 15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads - Oddee.com
15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads10. Berlin Wall: voices of the revolution | World news | guardian.co.uk
11. Great Walls in History: Photos | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com
12. Brezhnev Attempted to Advance Soviet Goals Through Detente
13. Video: Berlin Wall: 20 years after the fall (videos)
14. The Cold War / Korean War
The Following resources are miscellaneous resources which formed the old page...
Protect and Survive
The Atomic Cafe 
Public information films from the 1950's-1970's
Third World Wars
Vietnam - the 10,000 Day War
Search and Destroy
The Turning Point
War to the Bitter End
Vietnam War, The - The Early Years 1965-1968
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam