Paper 1 Sourcework Exercise: To what extent was Martin Luther King responsible for the success of the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
A one-hour sourcework paper in the style of the IBO.
1. a) According to Source A, why did Rosa Parks refuse to give up her bus seat? [3 marks]
1. b) What message is conveyed by Source C? [2 marks]
2. With reference to its origin, purpose and content, analyze the value and limitations of Source B for a historian studying the methods used in the bus boycott. [4 marks]
3. Compare and contrast what Sources C and D reveal about the reasons why the Montgomery Bus Boycott succeeded. [6 marks]
4. “The contribution of Martin Luther King was the decisive factor in the success of the Montgomery Bus Boycott”. Using the sources and your own knowledge, evaluate the validity of this statement. [9 marks]