American Foreign Policy in Latin America, 1945-60: Conclusions
Students draw some overall conclusions about the how ‘new’ and how ‘successful’ Eisenhower’s policies in Latin America were. They should then be set a timed essay in examination conditions on one of the following themes:
- Discuss the consequences for the region of Eisenhower’s national security policy.
- Examine the features of Eisenhower’s “New Look” foreign policy and evaluate its impact on the region of the Americas.
- In what ways, and with what results, did the Cold War influence relations between Latin America with the United States in the period 1945 to 1957?
- “The containment policy of the United States had a negative impact on Latin America”. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- With reference to specific examples, analyse the relations between the United States and Latin America in at least two Latin American countries after 1945.
- Analyse the relations between the United States and one country in Latin America, between 1945 and 1965.