Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
EITHER: Witte's Dilemma: An Overview of Industrial Developments in the Reign of Nicholas II
In this worksheet, students are presented with a series of key policy options facing Sergei Witte, the economics minister under Nicholas II. For each issue, they have to consider the advantages and disadvantages of carrying out the policy and how those policies could relate to each other. After formulating their own suggested approach to the issues, the teacher tells the students what Witte did using this teacher helpsheet and the class then forms its own judgement on his success or failure.
OR: Nicholas II: Industrial Developments
A PowerPoint presentation with an accompanying worksheet. Teachers may wish to use this if they are pressed for time and so prefer to simply deliver a lecture with students taking notes. It's less fun that the "Witte's Dilemma" worksheet above, though!
The Reign of Nicholas II (to 1905) [interactive]
A "Fling the Teacher" quiz designed to test how much students have learned. Give 10 marks for the first person to finish, 9 for second place, and so on.
1. Vladamir Lenin poisoned by Joseph Stalin? Russian historian Lev Lurie, believes that while Lenin was already in poor health having suffered several strokes, Stalin may have finished him off following a bitter feud.2. Did Britain try to assassinate Lenin? 3. Relics of the Soviet era remain in Russia #historyteacher 4. Barack Obama compared to Hitler and Lenin in Tea Party billboard A roadside billboard created by a branch of the Tea Party in Iowa comparing President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler and Vladimir Lenin has been condemned by other groups in the movement.5. The London haunts of VI Lenin 6. Russian heir demands Tsar Nicholas II murder investigation 7. Lenin statue vandalised by Ukrainian Nationalists 8. Vladimir Lenin died from syphilis, new research claims 9. Vatican thumbs up for Karl Marx after Galileo, Darwin and Oscar Wilde 10. Romanov grand duchess's hidden jewellery found
1. The Romanov Family Albums « HOW TO BE A RETRONAUT
2. Vera Zasulich - Writings
3. Reaction and Modernization under Alexander III and Nicholas II remarks by Professor Blois
4. Korolenko Describes the Kishinev Pogrom of 1903
5. Letters from Tsar Nicholas to Tsaritsa Alexandra 1914-1917
6. A Proclamation Inciting a Pogrom of the Jews, Easter, 1903
7. Seventeen Moments
8. 1905 / 1917 Russian Revolutions: Great site
9. Ebook: Rasputin and the Russian Revolution (1918)
Highly biased account by a Russian Princess.10. Ebook: The Russian diary of an Englishman, Petrograd, 1915-1917
11. Ebook: The Russian Revolution 1917 Eyewitness Account Volume I (1962)
12. Ebook: The Bolshevik Revolution 1917-1923 (EH Carr) Volume 2
13. Ebook: The Bolshevik Revolution 1917-1923 (EH Carr) Volume I
14. Ebook: War and Revolution in Russia, 1914-1917
Written in 1919, the observations of a White Army Commander.15. EBook: Leon Trotsky: "1905"
16. FlipBook: The memoirs of Count Witte
17. Dostoevsky: Notes from the Underground - Ebook
18. Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Notes from the Underground: EBook
19. Kropotkin: Memoirs of a Revolutionist - EBook
20. The Memoirs of Count Witte - Google Book Search
21. Stereo Photos of the Russo-Japanese War
22. Tsar Nicholas II and the Russian Revolutions of 1917
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam