Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. The Korean War - Interactive Newsfeed Exercise [Interactive]
Students are presented with a series of "newsfeeds" about the Korean War, which they use to complete this worksheet, and then answer a series of questions.
2. The Korean War - Background and Significance
In this activity, students consider the early events in the war, assess why the Korean War is historically significant, and reflect on the arguments for and against the involvement of the US and the UN.
3. The Korean War - Escalation
After a successful invasion at Inchon led by MacArthur, should the USA settle with "Containment" of communism, or pursue "Rollback" of the communist threat? Students examine the sources and reach their judgements.
The Korean War - The Dismissal of MacArthur
"Rollback" leads to a danger that the war is likely to escalate
into China and even the USSR. Is this a necessary or advisable course of
action? Students decide whether Truman's decision to "back off"
and dismiss the more belligerent MacArthur was a wise decision.
5. The Korean War: Consequences and Conclusion
Students round off their studies with a debate about the "Big Issues"
6. Korean War
Fling the Teacher Quiz
75 possible questions: I like to get all the students playing it
simultaneously, and award 25 points for the first person to finish, 24 for
the next, and so on; over the course of a few weeks you can build up a
"Fling the Teacher Leaderboard" if you play quizzes for different topics!
7. The Korean War: Interactive Cartoon analysis [Interactive]
Analyse a series of cartoons by hovering over details and answering exam-style questions. When you have finished, the computer will provide you with a printout comparing your answer to a model answer. A great way to revise and develop sourcework skills.
8. The Korean War: Collapsible Revision Notes [Interactive]
Interactive notes which can be collapsed or expanded to various levels of detail for revision purposes.
The Following resources are miscellaneous resources which formed the old page...
Protect and Survive
The Atomic Cafe 
Public information films from the 1950's-1970's
Third World Wars
Vietnam - the 10,000 Day War
Search and Destroy
The Turning Point
War to the Bitter End
Vietnam War, The - The Early Years 1965-1968
1. Czechoslovak Secret Police photos - great cold war starter
2. Full Video Series Online - Cold War, by CNN (1999)
3. WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West . Maps | PBS
4. Stalin's Interview to "Pravda" Correspondent Concerning Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech
5. Excellent: Cold War International History Project's Cold War Files
6. What Thatcher and Gorbachev really thought when the Berlin Wall came down | Michael Binyon - Times Online
7. Pope John Paul II and Communism
8. People's Century | Teacher's Guide | People Power
9. 15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads - Oddee.com
15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads10. Berlin Wall: voices of the revolution | World news | guardian.co.uk
11. Great Walls in History: Photos | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com
12. Brezhnev Attempted to Advance Soviet Goals Through Detente
13. Video: Berlin Wall: 20 years after the fall (videos)
14. The Cold War / Korean War
Events (50 years ago today): 1967 - After refusing induction into the United States Army the previous day, Muhammad Ali is stripped of his boxing title.
Births (350 years ago today): 1667 - John Arbuthnot, Scottish-English physician and polymath (d. 1735)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - Maya Deren, Ukrainian-American director, poet, and photographer (d. 1961)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Marcel Albers, Dutch race car driver (d. 1992)
Deaths (600 years ago today): 1417 - Louis II of Naples (b. 1377)
Deaths (50 years ago today): 1967 - J. B. Lenoir, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (b. 1929)
Commemorations:Day of Remembrance for all Victims of Chemical Warfare
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
The Treaty of Sevres : The Middle East
SIMULATION The Treaties of Sevres and Lausanne: How successfully did Lloyd George handle Turkey?
How important was the role of women in the Civil Rights movement? source work
IGCSE History Revision 2017
Rights and Protest Sourcework Sample: The Rivonia Trial
Model Essay: Analyse the successes and failures of Nixons domestic policies
Nixons Domestic Policy: Student research task
IB Sourcework: Rights and Protest sample source work papers and model answers
Model Essay: Assess the successes and failures of Nixons foreign policy
Nixons foreign policy: the second administration
Nixons foreign policy: The 1972 Presidential Election
Sourcework Exercise: To what extent was Martin Luther King responsible for the success of the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
Nixons foreign policy: the first administration (1969-72)
Nixons Foreign Policy: New study unit
Was life good or bad in Victorian Britain? A study through paintings