Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. The Korean War - Interactive Newsfeed Exercise [Interactive]
Students are presented with a series of "newsfeeds" about the Korean War, which they use to complete this worksheet, and then answer a series of questions.
2. The Korean War - Background and Significance
In this activity, students consider the early events in the war, assess why the Korean War is historically significant, and reflect on the arguments for and against the involvement of the US and the UN.
3. The Korean War - Escalation
After a successful invasion at Inchon led by MacArthur, should the USA settle with "Containment" of communism, or pursue "Rollback" of the communist threat? Students examine the sources and reach their judgements.
The Korean War - The Dismissal of MacArthur
"Rollback" leads to a danger that the war is likely to escalate
into China and even the USSR. Is this a necessary or advisable course of
action? Students decide whether Truman's decision to "back off"
and dismiss the more belligerent MacArthur was a wise decision.
5. The Korean War: Consequences and Conclusion
Students round off their studies with a debate about the "Big Issues"
6. Korean War
Fling the Teacher Quiz
75 possible questions: I like to get all the students playing it
simultaneously, and award 25 points for the first person to finish, 24 for
the next, and so on; over the course of a few weeks you can build up a
"Fling the Teacher Leaderboard" if you play quizzes for different topics!
7. The Korean War: Interactive Cartoon analysis [Interactive]
Analyse a series of cartoons by hovering over details and answering exam-style questions. When you have finished, the computer will provide you with a printout comparing your answer to a model answer. A great way to revise and develop sourcework skills.
8. The Korean War: Collapsible Revision Notes [Interactive]
Interactive notes which can be collapsed or expanded to various levels of detail for revision purposes.
The Following resources are miscellaneous resources which formed the old page...
Protect and Survive
The Atomic Cafe 
Public information films from the 1950's-1970's
Third World Wars
Vietnam - the 10,000 Day War
Search and Destroy
The Turning Point
War to the Bitter End
Vietnam War, The - The Early Years 1965-1968
1. Czechoslovak Secret Police photos - great cold war starter
2. Full Video Series Online - Cold War, by CNN (1999)
3. WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West . Maps | PBS
4. Stalin's Interview to "Pravda" Correspondent Concerning Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech
5. Excellent: Cold War International History Project's Cold War Files
6. What Thatcher and Gorbachev really thought when the Berlin Wall came down | Michael Binyon - Times Online
7. Pope John Paul II and Communism
8. People's Century | Teacher's Guide | People Power
9. 15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads - Oddee.com
15 Interesting Cold War Vintage Ads10. Berlin Wall: voices of the revolution | World news | guardian.co.uk
11. Great Walls in History: Photos | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com
12. Brezhnev Attempted to Advance Soviet Goals Through Detente
13. Video: Berlin Wall: 20 years after the fall (videos)
14. The Cold War / Korean War
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Arthur Rackham, English illustrator (d. 1939)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Jim Abbott, American baseball player
Deaths (50 years ago today): 1967 - Zinaida Serebriakova, Ukrainian-French painter (b. 1884)
Commemorations:International Talk Like a Pirate Day
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
The Rise of Hitler Images
President Johnson An Introduction to LBJ
The Mystery of Pompeii: stand-alone lesson
Historiography: Historians on the Rise of Hitler
ClassTools.net Arcade Games: Kennedys Foreign Policy
Factual test Kennedys Foreign Policy
Classroom debate How successful was Kennedys foreign policy?
Escape the Room! Mission Havana, 1959
Escape Room: Mission: Galileo 1610
Printable Calendar of Historical Anniversaries 2017-2018
Recommended Films for the History Classroom
Rise and rule of authoritarian states: IB History Paper 2 sample question generator
Spotify Jukebox Songs for the History Classroom
Cold War Random Essay Question Generator!
Defining weasel terms: Guerrilla, interstate, civil wars; populist v. military dictators; and much more besides