Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
The Court of the Red Tsar: Overview of the CD Audiobook
A grid summarising the main themes and personalities covered in each section of the audiobook.
1. Worksheet - Divisions in the party before 1924
2. Interactive Running Dictation Exercise: The Last Years of Lenin
3. Worksheet - Lenin's Testament
2. Worksheet - Who should succeed Lenin?
The Rise of Stalin: ideal as a revision / consolidation activity
Interactive Interview with Josef Stalin
Allocate out a different topic from those listed in the drop-down menu to each student. In a subsequent lesson, each student then does a presentation to the class based on their findings. Best of all is if they choose the three most interesting questions and responses and memorise these. The questions are then given by each student to the teacher. Each student then has to sit in front of the class, and the teacher interviews each "Stalin" whilst the rest of the class takes notes.
1. What were Stalin's Economic Objectives? [student worksheet] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation]
2. Collectivisation: Theory and Practice [student worksheet ] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation] [Interactive Running Dictation Exercise]
3. The Ukrainian Famine: Sources and Questions [student worksheet] [PowerPoint Show]
4. The Ukrainian Famine: Individual Research Task [student worksheet]
5. Collectivisation: How successful was it? [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
6. Collectivisation: Sourcework Test [student worksheet]
7. Agricultural Policies: A comparison of the Tsarist and Stalinist periods [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
1. Introduction and Overview [student worksheet] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation]
2. Debate on the causes, course and consequence of the 5-Year Plans [student worksheet]
3. Assessment of the 5-Year Plans [student worksheet] [teacher notes]
4. Industrial Policies: A comparison of the Tsarist and Stalinist periods [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
5. Factual Test: Stalin's Policies for Industry [student worksheet and teacher answers]. Could be used along with, or instead of, this Keyword Challenge (rules of this game can be found here).
1. Were Agricultural or Industrial Policies more successful? - [student worksheet / lesson plan]
1. Introduction to the Terror - including an investigation of the key characters
2. Causes of the Terror - economic, political, diplomatic
3. Who Killed Kirov? - a sourcework investigation leading to a debate
4. Key Events, 1936-38 - political, economic and military victims
5. The Trials of Kamenev, Zinoviev and Bukharin - transcripts and discussion points
6. Effects of the Purges - on all levels of society
7. End of the Purges - including the assassination of Leon Trotsky
8. Conclusion Grid - to consolidate understanding
1. The 1936 Constitution
Students consider the difference between the theory and the practice of the Stalinist Constitution of 1936.
2. The Stalin Cult
Students consider how Stalin used and abused cinema, art and music to develop his "Cult of Personality". They then produce their own flyleaf for a novel, a film poster or a poem in praise of the great Stalin. Here are some examples produced by students at the International School of Toulouse:
The Redfather / The Stalinator (film posters by June) | Stalin is God (film trailer by Chris)
3. The Social Revolution
5. Sourcework Exercise
Based on the format of the IB History Examination, but easily adapted for other syllabi.
Stalin's Foreign Policy, 1917-39
Students use a detailed timeline to produce a biased interpretation of Stalin's foreign policy from a communist and a capitalist perspective.
The Great Patriotic War
Designed to help students identify some of the most important events of the period. Instructions included.
Why did the USSR win the Great Patriotic War?Designed to follow on from the interactive exercise above. Students drag and drop factors to make connections and write up their findings.
1. Stalin's USSR: 1945-53 - Society, Culture and Zhdanov -Designed to be used with the collapsible notes above.
2. Stalin's USSR: 1945-53 - Industrial and Agricultural recovery?
1. Stalin's Legacy: Did he corrupt or fulfil Lenin's vision?
2. Stalin's Legacy: What was his long term impact on the USSR and beyond?
3. Recent Books on Stalin's USSR
A worksheet which provides an overview of the most recent books by Montefiore, Applebaum, Figes and others and sets a series of questions about the most popular themes that seem to be arising.
Splat the Stalinist!
Designed to help students learn about the significance of key characters of the Stalinist period in a fun way!
Fling the Teacher: The Rule of Stalin
I give students 10 minutes at the start of the lesson to try to complete the quiz. Anyone completing the quiz within the available time gets a score based on the amount of minutes left on the clock. They can then move on to the first lesson task, whatever that happens to be, whilst the other members of the class continue to play. I build up a 'leaderboard' of scores over the numerous lessons we have during revision time to build up momentum!
© 1998-2018 Russel Tarr, ActiveHistory.co.uk Limited (Reg. 6111680)
High Park Lodge, Edstaston Wem, Shropshire, England, SY4 5RD. Telephone/Fax: 01939 233909
Events (100 years ago today): 1918 – Friedrich Karl von Hessen, a German prince elected by the Parliament of Finland to become King Väinö I, renounces the Finnish throne.
Births (100 years ago today): 1918 – James T. Aubrey, American broadcaster (d. 1994)
Births (50 years ago today): 1968 – Kelley Armstrong, Canadian author
Deaths (1400 years ago today): 618 – Xue Rengao, emperor of Qin
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
Z-A QUIZ GENERATOR ideal for lesson starters/plenaries!
James Spod: Undercover in Nazi Germany!
Sourcework: Assess President Kennedys handling of the James Meredith controversy at Ole Miss
The Bosnian Crisis and the Balkan Wars: Factual Test
Guidance for writing the coursework essay for students
To what extent were Stalins policies a direct attempt to protect Russia from the threat of another World War?
What was the immediate political, military, and socio-economic significance of World War One upon Russia?
Calendar for Educators, 2018-2019
October Revolution: Historiography and Primary Sources
Was the October Revolution a coup detat or a popular uprising? Timeline Role-play Exercise
How stable was the Tsarist regime on the eve of World War One?
Significance of WW1 for Russia: Study Guide
Drag and Drop quiz generator
The Rise of Hitler: Essay Planning Generator