Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
Interactive Interview with Josef Stalin [interactive]
Allocate out a different topic from those listed in the drop-down menu to each student. In a subsequent lesson, each student then does a presentation to the class based on their findings. Best of all is if they choose the three most interesting questions and responses and memorise these. The questions are then given by each student to the teacher. Each student then has to sit in front of the class, and the teacher interviews each "Stalin" whilst the rest of the class takes notes.
The Court of the Red Tsar: Overview of the CD Audiobook
A grid summarising the main themes and personalities covered in each section of the audiobook.
A re-cap on the political situation in Russia in the early 1920s, a historiographical overview of the importance of the topic, some possible exam questions, and a discussion of Stalin's qualities (teacher version here).There is a completed teacher version available.
The Rise of Stalin: A Sweet Roleplay Exercise! [interactive]
This interactive exercise forms part of the ActiveHistory unit on Stalin's Rise to Power.
Students take the role of five key members of the Politburo at the end of 1922.
The respective power of these figures is represented by distributing a large bag of sweets between them.
As events unfold, members of the audience have to consider who is gaining power, and at whose expense.
At each stage, the sweets are redistributed accordingly and the computer keeps a graphic track of changing fortunes.
Video clips from YouTube are built in at appropriate points to consolidate knowledge.
A printable worksheet is dynamically generated at the end of the exercise, providing graphics, narrative and follow-up questions.
Completed Model Essay: Compare and Contrast the Rise of Mao and Stalin
PowerPoint Teacher Presentation: Why did Stalin become leader of the USSR?
These resources could be used following the completion of the essay as part of a feedback session, or as part of revision materials before the final examination.
The Rise of Stalin: Collapsible Revision Notes [interactive]
Ideal as a revision / consolidation activity
1. Titanic star Leonardo DiCaprio wants to play role of Joseph Stalin 2. Stalin digital archive nears completion #historyteacher Stalin digital archive nears completion3. Orlando Figes to give away royalties from next book 4. Brought to book with Orlando Figes It is ferocity and incompetence that have characterised Figes's own extraordinary war with academics, and dominated the headlines earlier this year. The stakes could not have been higher.5. Stalin falls from grace in last bastion - his birthplace A statue of the former Soviet dicatator Josef Stalin was removed from a plinth in his birthplace in Georgia.6. Incoming D-Day Memorial chief stands by Stalin bust While Mr. Reed said he can "appreciate the concern" of locals who have voiced their opposition to the bust, he said the bust can serve as a teaching tool to make visitors recognize the importance of Stalin as one of the leaders in World War II...7. Destroying monuments to Stalin a silly attempt to rewrite history: Gorbachev Mikhail Gorbachev, whose attempts to reform the Soviet Union helped to bring about its demise, says he regrets the destruction of monuments to Joseph Stalin which he described as a “silly, anti-historical act”.8. Stalin-era mass grave yields tonnes of bones Russia has uncovered at least 495 skeletons, many with head gunshot wounds, in a mass grave probably dating back to purges under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin in the 1930s, municipal authorities said.9. Russia says probe into 1940 katyn massacre can't be reopened A top Russian official says there's no legal basis for reopening an investigation into the Katyn massacres, when thousands of Polish officers were killed by Soviet secret police.10. Artists take on the new cult of Stalin
1. How children's books thrived under Stalin | Books | The Guardian
When Stalin's great purges made writing dangerous, a group of avant garde artists turned their attention to children's books. Philip Pullman on a new collection that reveals a vigorous freedom in a time?2. Stalin: Hero image gives way to the dark dictator
3. Why Stalin loved Tarzan and wanted John Wayne shot - Telegraph
4. George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' resonated with Ukrainian refugees
5. The first ever altered images
6. SPLAT the Stalinist (Interactive game) #historyteacher #sschat
7. Soviet Women of WWII - Retronaut #historyteacher - Great photos
8. The Stalin Project
9. Seventeen Moments
10. A Brief History of Photo Fakery - The New York Times
11. RealUSSR: Brilliant blog about ordinary life behind the Iron Curtain (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
12. Stalin's Wars: An Interview with Professor Geoffrey Roberts #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
13. October: Ten Days That Shook the World - MPEG Download!
14. Battleship Potemkin: MPEG Download!
15. Alexander Nevsky: MPEG Download!
16. The National Archives Learning Curve | Heroes & Villains | Stalin & industrialisation
17. Siegelbaum, Stalinism as a Way of Life
This site contains original Russian documents used in the book Stalinism as a Way of Life in English translation.18. In Soviet Russia, Lake Contaminates You
19. Stalin's USSR
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam