Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
The Court of the Red Tsar: Overview of the CD Audiobook
A grid summarising the main themes and personalities covered in each section of the audiobook.
1. Worksheet - Divisions in the party before 1924
2. Interactive Running Dictation Exercise: The Last Years of Lenin
3. Worksheet - Lenin's Testament
2. Worksheet - Who should succeed Lenin?
The Rise of Stalin: ideal as a revision / consolidation activity
Interactive Interview with Josef Stalin
Allocate out a different topic from those listed in the drop-down menu to each student. In a subsequent lesson, each student then does a presentation to the class based on their findings. Best of all is if they choose the three most interesting questions and responses and memorise these. The questions are then given by each student to the teacher. Each student then has to sit in front of the class, and the teacher interviews each "Stalin" whilst the rest of the class takes notes.
1. What were Stalin's Economic Objectives? [student worksheet] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation]
2. Collectivisation: Theory and Practice [student worksheet ] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation] [Interactive Running Dictation Exercise]
3. The Ukrainian Famine: Sources and Questions [student worksheet] [PowerPoint Show]
4. The Ukrainian Famine: Individual Research Task [student worksheet]
5. Collectivisation: How successful was it? [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
6. Collectivisation: Sourcework Test [student worksheet]
7. Agricultural Policies: A comparison of the Tsarist and Stalinist periods [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
1. Introduction and Overview [student worksheet] [teacher copy] [PowerPoint Presentation]
2. Debate on the causes, course and consequence of the 5-Year Plans [student worksheet]
3. Assessment of the 5-Year Plans [student worksheet] [teacher notes]
4. Industrial Policies: A comparison of the Tsarist and Stalinist periods [student worksheet] [teacher copy]
5. Factual Test: Stalin's Policies for Industry [student worksheet and teacher answers]. Could be used along with, or instead of, this Keyword Challenge (rules of this game can be found here).
1. Were Agricultural or Industrial Policies more successful? - [student worksheet / lesson plan]
1. Introduction to the Terror - including an investigation of the key characters
2. Causes of the Terror - economic, political, diplomatic
3. Who Killed Kirov? - a sourcework investigation leading to a debate
4. Key Events, 1936-38 - political, economic and military victims
5. The Trials of Kamenev, Zinoviev and Bukharin - transcripts and discussion points
6. Effects of the Purges - on all levels of society
7. End of the Purges - including the assassination of Leon Trotsky
8. Conclusion Grid - to consolidate understanding
1. The 1936 Constitution
Students consider the difference between the theory and the practice of the Stalinist Constitution of 1936.
2. The Stalin Cult
Students consider how Stalin used and abused cinema, art and music to develop his "Cult of Personality". They then produce their own flyleaf for a novel, a film poster or a poem in praise of the great Stalin. Here are some examples produced by students at the International School of Toulouse:
The Redfather / The Stalinator (film posters by June) | Stalin is God (film trailer by Chris)
3. The Social Revolution
5. Sourcework Exercise
Based on the format of the IB History Examination, but easily adapted for other syllabi.
Stalin's Foreign Policy, 1917-39
Students use a detailed timeline to produce a biased interpretation of Stalin's foreign policy from a communist and a capitalist perspective.
The Great Patriotic War
Designed to help students identify some of the most important events of the period. Instructions included.
Why did the USSR win the Great Patriotic War?Designed to follow on from the interactive exercise above. Students drag and drop factors to make connections and write up their findings.
1. Stalin's USSR: 1945-53 - Society, Culture and Zhdanov -Designed to be used with the collapsible notes above.
2. Stalin's USSR: 1945-53 - Industrial and Agricultural recovery?
1. Stalin's Legacy: Did he corrupt or fulfil Lenin's vision?
2. Stalin's Legacy: What was his long term impact on the USSR and beyond?
3. Recent Books on Stalin's USSR
A worksheet which provides an overview of the most recent books by Montefiore, Applebaum, Figes and others and sets a series of questions about the most popular themes that seem to be arising.
Splat the Stalinist!
Designed to help students learn about the significance of key characters of the Stalinist period in a fun way!
Fling the Teacher: The Rule of Stalin
I give students 10 minutes at the start of the lesson to try to complete the quiz. Anyone completing the quiz within the available time gets a score based on the amount of minutes left on the clock. They can then move on to the first lesson task, whatever that happens to be, whilst the other members of the class continue to play. I build up a 'leaderboard' of scores over the numerous lessons we have during revision time to build up momentum!
1. Titanic star Leonardo DiCaprio wants to play role of Joseph Stalin 2. Stalin digital archive nears completion #historyteacher Stalin digital archive nears completion3. Orlando Figes to give away royalties from next book 4. Brought to book with Orlando Figes It is ferocity and incompetence that have characterised Figes's own extraordinary war with academics, and dominated the headlines earlier this year. The stakes could not have been higher.5. Stalin falls from grace in last bastion - his birthplace A statue of the former Soviet dicatator Josef Stalin was removed from a plinth in his birthplace in Georgia.6. Incoming D-Day Memorial chief stands by Stalin bust While Mr. Reed said he can "appreciate the concern" of locals who have voiced their opposition to the bust, he said the bust can serve as a teaching tool to make visitors recognize the importance of Stalin as one of the leaders in World War II...7. Destroying monuments to Stalin a silly attempt to rewrite history: Gorbachev Mikhail Gorbachev, whose attempts to reform the Soviet Union helped to bring about its demise, says he regrets the destruction of monuments to Joseph Stalin which he described as a “silly, anti-historical act”.8. Stalin-era mass grave yields tonnes of bones Russia has uncovered at least 495 skeletons, many with head gunshot wounds, in a mass grave probably dating back to purges under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin in the 1930s, municipal authorities said.9. Russia says probe into 1940 katyn massacre can't be reopened A top Russian official says there's no legal basis for reopening an investigation into the Katyn massacres, when thousands of Polish officers were killed by Soviet secret police.10. Artists take on the new cult of Stalin
1. How children's books thrived under Stalin | Books | The Guardian
When Stalin's great purges made writing dangerous, a group of avant garde artists turned their attention to children's books. Philip Pullman on a new collection that reveals a vigorous freedom in a time?2. Stalin: Hero image gives way to the dark dictator
3. Why Stalin loved Tarzan and wanted John Wayne shot - Telegraph
4. George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' resonated with Ukrainian refugees
5. The first ever altered images
6. SPLAT the Stalinist (Interactive game) #historyteacher #sschat
7. Soviet Women of WWII - Retronaut #historyteacher - Great photos
8. The Stalin Project
9. Seventeen Moments
10. A Brief History of Photo Fakery - The New York Times
11. RealUSSR: Brilliant blog about ordinary life behind the Iron Curtain (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
12. Stalin's Wars: An Interview with Professor Geoffrey Roberts #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
13. October: Ten Days That Shook the World - MPEG Download!
14. Battleship Potemkin: MPEG Download!
15. Alexander Nevsky: MPEG Download!
16. The National Archives Learning Curve | Heroes & Villains | Stalin & industrialisation
17. Siegelbaum, Stalinism as a Way of Life
This site contains original Russian documents used in the book Stalinism as a Way of Life in English translation.18. In Soviet Russia, Lake Contaminates You
19. Stalin's USSR
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam