Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
"The Apprentice" Roleplay (see below)
1. How atheist Richard Dawkins' family fortune came from the slave trade 2. Rio's Cemetery of New Blacks sheds light on horrors of slave trade Tooth analysis shows Africans taken from wide area ranging from Sudan in the north-east to Mozambique in the south3. Rare daguerreotype offers insight into urban slavery 4. Abraham Lincoln 'wanted to deport slaves' to new colonies 5. Councillor: Black History Month “left-wing vanity” In a debate about arts funding on Monday, Cllr Adam Kellett, who represents the Ashburton ward, described Black History Month as “a left-wing vanity project.”6. 389 Years of Black History in the USA: This would make a great classroom poster 7. Caribbean slaves came from different regions in Africa 8. Recalling Douglass in the age of Obama 9. Cambridge University's "Empire Ball" - 'insensitive and racist?' 10. Archaeologists find wreck of slave ship
1. Work underway to remove quote from Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial - Washington Times
A chain-link fence and yellow caution tape marked the start Monday of a major change planned for the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial as officials prepare to remove the controversial "drum major" inscription from the side of the monument. The project is expected to last for three to four weeks and wrap up before events to mark the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Aug. 28.2. Sessions for Schools: The case for the Trade - YouTube
An 18th century slave trader (played by actor Andrew Ashmore) puts the case against the growing abolition movement to end the transatlantic slave trade. It i...3. The Alan Lomax Sound Archive Online: Features 17,000 Recordings
4. 35 Cool Business Cards To Inspire You | Design Inspiration
In which business your are in you probably know how important having a business card to contact with your customers and get feedback from them.In a way,business5. Soundtrack for a Revolution - Be the Change
6. Organize Your Thinking to Critically Analyze Text
Nice ideas using slave trade/civil rights as a focus7. "Flight to Freedom" Interactive game about slavery in the Americas
8. Furious letter from former slave to his 'owner' during American Civil War
9. Caribbean views: personal selections by Mike Phillips
10. The Abolition of Slavery Project
A great teaching resource11. Celebrating Black History: 50 Cultural Giants
12. Rufus Buck's Anti-Black History Month History Lesson
13. What's in a surname? - National Geographic Magazine
14. Timelines - Who was the greatest musical talent of the 19th century? Perhaps a blind, autistic slave
15. Melrose Interactive Slavery Environment
16. Defence Dynamics - Lesson Plans - Abolition of slavery (1)
Role of the Royal Navy in the Abolition of Slavery17. Children and Youth in History | Children in the Slave Trade
18. Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database
19. What does this map tell you about Western attitudes to Africa in 1849?! #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
20. Civil Rights: Pivotal Events Photo Gallery (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
21. House Divided Exhibit Gallery: Henry "Box" Brown
22. Virtual Field Trips relating to the Slave Trade
23. Virtual Field Trips: Henry "Box" Brown
24. Dailymotion - Leadbelly News Report - a Music video
25. Discovery Channe: Understanding Slavery
26. PBS: Africans in America
27. History News Network
Slavery Debate28. Campaign for Abolition
29. The struggle to end slavery. A timeline. Durham University Library
30. Small Island Read 2007: Abolition
31. Freedom - A KS3 History resource about Britain and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
32. Slavery Image Search
33. equimap2.jpg (JPEG Image, 1200x840 pixels)
34. nfpSynergy - Press Coverage
Granville Sharp, with his meticulous legal zeal and interest in wider political freedoms; Thomas Clarkson, with his skill in writing and systematic research; and William Wilberforce, with his parliamentary skills and political connections.35. Understanding Slavery
36. Triangular trade - A Teaching Resource for KS3
37. The National Archives | Exhibitions & Learning online | Black presence
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam