Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
Please note that at IB level I deliberately refrain from the following topics which I teach at IGCSE level, but if you wish there are loads of resources on ActiveHistory which you can adapt:
Causes of World War One
Life in the Trenches
Essay Project: Linking and prioritising, writing up the essay
Students then use this worksheet to spot connections between the major themes rather than simply discuss each one in isolation.
1. Florence Green: Last surviving World War One veteran dies just before her 111th birthday 2. Why World War I Resonates #historyteacher #news In 2014 it will be a hundred years since the First World War began, and yet its presence in novels, films and television has never been greater3. France adopts Armenian law making it illegal to deny WW1 Turkish genocide #historyteacher #news French senators have voted to adopt a controversial bill making it illegal to deny that the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks was genocide.4. Movie Review: War Horse: Spielberg's Searing, Splendid Christmas Gift 5. The First World War Explains Modern Conflict 6. War hits home on Downton Abbey - Scotsman.com News War hits home on Downton Abbey7. 'L'Aspirine et l'eau': How French cracked German WW1 invisible ink formula | Mail Online 8. First Trailer Released For Spielberg's "War Horse" 9. Claude Stanley Choules, the Last Known World War I Combat Veteran, Dies in Australia at 110 - NYTimes.com 10. Frank Buckles, Last WWI Veteran, Dies: Big Pic
1. Colour Photos from WW1
2. Claude Choules the last-known WW1 frontline veteran laid to rest | Mail Online
'Chuckles' the last-known WW1 frontline veteran laid to rest with navy honour guard3. The First World War Explains Modern Conflict
4. First World War - An outstanding site.
5. Animated maps of the Western Front: One for each year of the war - a great addition to any class lecture.
6. Spartacus First World War Encyclopaedia: Excellent resource from John Simkin
7. Search for a relative using the Commonwelath War Graves Database
8. The end of the First World War
9. Evidence, History, and the Great War: Historiography
10. 1914-18 war - Art of the First World War - Guided tour
11. Art of WW1
12. World War One Cigarette Cards
13. BBC - History - World War One Movies
14. Battle of the Somme: Interactivities from Channel 4
15. Hell on Earth: Colour photographs of the bloody battle of Passchendaele
16. Engineering a historical oblivion for soldiers of the wrong wars
17. The Great War - Course
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam