Calendar for Educators
The following project developed from my "History in the News" facility which I also recommend you look at.
1. Here is a FREE printable calendar providing notable anniversaries (multiples of 50 years only) for research, discussion, assemblies and personal projects.
Ideas for student tasks:
- Choose one event to research further and deliver a class presentation on it
- As above, but conduct a balloon debate to determine which was the most significant anniversary that month (based on Who? affects a large amount of people / Where? affects a large area / When? has an impact over a long period of time)
- Design a film advert or meme poster to accompany an event of your choice
- Create a timeline of what you consider to be the most interesting events
2. ActiveHistory subscribers can also download a fully editable version of the calendar to customise as they see fit.
Ideas for additional student / whole-class tasks:
- Choose additional / alternative images on each page of the calendar based on the events you consider most interesting
- Reduce each month down to a maximum of ten events by deleting those you consider less interesting
- Change several events in each month using the powerful tool below!
Search for your own choice of anniversaries!
Use the following tool to help you choose your own events for your own customised school calendar.
A great idea is to get different students and classes to focus on different months as a project at the start of the school year, then share the completed calendar afterwards. Alternatively, each month could be produced separately as it approaches and the events then used for classroom discussion points or the basis of displays and debates.
Simply choose a month and a year and receive a full list of key anniversaries for every day of that particular month.
Note: all anniversaries will be limited to multiples of 50 years (e.g. 100 years ago today, 150 years ago today, etc).