Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. A History of 'Trial by Ordeal'
Have you ever undergone a ?trial by fire?? In its modern use, this refers to any ordeal meant to test one?s strength, endurance, or resolve. Originally, however, the ?trial by fire? was a much more literal term, and was one of the many categories of ?trial by ordeal? that permeated the judicial system of Europe, Asia, Africa, and colonial America.2. The Oddment Emporium, The Voynich manuscript
The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid...3. BBC - Schools - The Beauty of Maps
The Beauty of Maps - Teacher's resources4. Family Echo - Free Printable Family Tree Maker
Great for a Year 7 family tree project5. Time Capsule examples: what would your students put in a capsule to sum up 2009? (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
6. Egyptian Mummies: A very nicely presented Flash site (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
7. All About Explorers | Everything you've ever wanted to know about every explorer who ever lived...and more!
8. The National Archives | Exhibitions | Uniting the Kingdoms?
9. Flash Animation: Calendars through the Ages (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
10. The Saxon Mirror: Lovely illustrations for #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
11. The Mongols in World History | Asia Topics in World History
12. Mongol Empire
13. In the Footsteps of Marco Polo
14. The Middle Ages: Feudal Life - Great summaries organised by theme
15. Exploration through the Ages
16. World History Medieval Timeline
17. Timeline of the Middle Ages - Wikipedia
18. Medieval History Overview
19. Medieval Realms - Great pictures and summaries from the British Library, organised by theme
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam