Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
Introductory Prezi: Mussolini and Fascist Italy [interactive]
A brief overview of the main themes and the key events. Students should take notes!
"Who Am I?" Challenge - Mussolini's Italy
Each team will be presented with a clue about a key historical figure. They get 50 points if they guess it correctly. If they wish to 'pass', they get further (easier) clues but the points available steadily decline. An incorrect guess at any point means they get zero points for that round. You can play as many rounds as you wish. It's a great way to revise!
Fling the Teacher Challenge - Mussolini's Italy (45 possible questions)
Another great revision quiz.
I give students 10 minutes at the start of the lesson to try to complete the quiz. Anyone completing the quiz within the available time gets a score based on the amount of minutes left on the clock. They can then move on to the first lesson task, whatever that happens to be, whilst the other members of the class continue to play. I build up a 'leaderboard' of scores over the numerous lessons we have during revision time to build up momentum!
1. A gay island community created by Italy's Fascists Seventy-five years ago in Fascist Italy, a group of gay men were labelled "degenerate", expelled from their homes and interned on one of the Tremiti islands.2. Berlusconi Praises Mussolini Regime on Holocaust Remembrance Day - Bloomberg Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi praised the fascist regime of dictator Benito Mussolini as he attended a ceremony to mark Holocaust Remembrance Day.
1. Fascism In Color - Mussolini In Power
Documentary covers the rise of Fascism in Italy2. The Age of Dictatorship: Europe 1918-1989 - Mussolini
The first lecture set the scene by analysing the devastating effects of the First World War on Europe, and goes on to focus on Italy, where a recently introduced democratic political system disintegrated, giving way to the Fascist dictatorship of Mussolini in the 1920's.3. Mussolini's policies towards the Jews
4. Eating Bark: one grows rich in a year but dies in six months
5. Carcano Balilla
6. Counterlight's Peculiars: July 2009
7. History Today - The Foreign Policies of Hitler and Mussolini : Russell Tarr sees similarities but also important contrasts in the foreign policies of Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy
8. Fascist Italy (Whittam) - Google Books
9. Mussolini and Italian fascism (Pathfinder History) - Google Books
10. Mussolini and fascist Italy (Blinkhorn) - Google Books
11. Mussolini and the Mafia
Mussolini's attempts to control the Mafia12. Review: Mussolini by Nicholas Farrell | Books | The Guardian
13. Mussolini and Italy - Google Book Search
Events (100 years ago today): 1917 - The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
Births (150 years ago today): 1867 - Carl Laemmle, German-born American film producer, co-founded Universal Studios (d. 1939)
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - M. G. Ramachandran, Indian actor, director, and politician, 5th Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (d. 1987)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Richard Hawley, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
Deaths (400 years ago today): 1617 - Fausto Veranzio, Croatian bishop and lexicographer (b. 1551)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
What is Politics? Why are so many people not interested in it and why is this worrying?
Communism and Fascism: Whats the difference?
Design your ideal state
LBJ and the Great Society
Hexagons Activity: Impact of the Industrial Revolution
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre Teacher model answers
50 Essential Songs for the History Classroom
Sourcework Exercise: The Sharpeville Massacre
Model answers for sourcework exercise on rise of Apartheid
Slave Trade Simulation: Updated and improved
Model Essay Compare and contrast the role of ideology in causing two 20th-century wars, each chosen from a different region
Model Essay What were the most frequent causes of 20th-century wars?
Vietnam veteran John Kerrys statement at the Senate hearings of 1971
Why, and with what degree of justification, did Nixon refuse to immediately withdraw from Vietnam?
Compare and contrast the policy of Johnson and Nixon with regard to Vietnam