Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. A History of 'Trial by Ordeal'
Have you ever undergone a ?trial by fire?? In its modern use, this refers to any ordeal meant to test one?s strength, endurance, or resolve. Originally, however, the ?trial by fire? was a much more literal term, and was one of the many categories of ?trial by ordeal? that permeated the judicial system of Europe, Asia, Africa, and colonial America.2. The Oddment Emporium, The Voynich manuscript
The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid...3. BBC - Schools - The Beauty of Maps
The Beauty of Maps - Teacher's resources4. Family Echo - Free Printable Family Tree Maker
Great for a Year 7 family tree project5. Time Capsule examples: what would your students put in a capsule to sum up 2009? (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
6. Egyptian Mummies: A very nicely presented Flash site (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
7. All About Explorers | Everything you've ever wanted to know about every explorer who ever lived...and more!
8. The National Archives | Exhibitions | Uniting the Kingdoms?
9. Flash Animation: Calendars through the Ages (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
10. The Saxon Mirror: Lovely illustrations for #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
11. The Mongols in World History | Asia Topics in World History
12. Mongol Empire
13. In the Footsteps of Marco Polo
14. The Middle Ages: Feudal Life - Great summaries organised by theme
15. Exploration through the Ages
16. World History Medieval Timeline
17. Timeline of the Middle Ages - Wikipedia
18. Medieval History Overview
19. Medieval Realms - Great pictures and summaries from the British Library, organised by theme
Events (150 years ago today): 1867 - The Medicine Lodge Treaty is signed by southern Great Plains Indian leaders. The treaty requires Native American Plains tribes to relocate to a reservation in western Oklahoma.
Events (50 years ago today): 1967 - Vietnam War: More than 100,000 war protesters gather in Washington, D.C.. Similar demonstrations occur simultaneously in Japan and Western Europe.
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - Dizzy Gillespie, American trumpet player, composer, and bandleader (d. 1993)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Georgi Dakov, Bulgarian high jumper (d. 1996)
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
Multimedia lecture : IN WHAT WAYS did the Civil Rights movement become more radical after 1964?
Multimedia lecture : WHY did the Civil Rights movement become more radical after 1964?
IB History Internal Assessments sample studies
Mission: Berlin! (Escape the Room activity on Hitlers consolidation of power)
Student-friendly Sourcework Rubric
The life of Martin Luther Design a film trailer!
Model Essay: Assess the view that After initial failures, Kennedys handling of foreign policy grew increasingly successful as time went on
Advisor to the Kaiser! A new online simulation!
The Rise of Hitler Images
President Johnson An Introduction to LBJ
The Mystery of Pompeii: stand-alone lesson
Historiography: Historians on the Rise of Hitler
ClassTools.net Arcade Games: Kennedys Foreign Policy
Factual test Kennedys Foreign Policy
Classroom debate How successful was Kennedys foreign policy?