Please fill in the following form to contact the author, Russel Tarr (@russeltarr)
ActiveHistory provides entertaining, educational award-winning interactive simulations, decision-making games, self-marking quizzes, high-quality worksheets and detailed lesson plans for teachers and students.
View the top 50 activities here.
You can also request a free trial.
1. A History of 'Trial by Ordeal'
Have you ever undergone a ?trial by fire?? In its modern use, this refers to any ordeal meant to test one?s strength, endurance, or resolve. Originally, however, the ?trial by fire? was a much more literal term, and was one of the many categories of ?trial by ordeal? that permeated the judicial system of Europe, Asia, Africa, and colonial America.2. The Oddment Emporium, The Voynich manuscript
The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid...3. BBC - Schools - The Beauty of Maps
The Beauty of Maps - Teacher's resources4. Family Echo - Free Printable Family Tree Maker
Great for a Year 7 family tree project5. Time Capsule examples: what would your students put in a capsule to sum up 2009? (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
6. Egyptian Mummies: A very nicely presented Flash site (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
7. All About Explorers | Everything you've ever wanted to know about every explorer who ever lived...and more!
8. The National Archives | Exhibitions | Uniting the Kingdoms?
9. Flash Animation: Calendars through the Ages (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
10. The Saxon Mirror: Lovely illustrations for #historyteacher (via activehistory.co.uk / classtools.net)
11. The Mongols in World History | Asia Topics in World History
12. Mongol Empire
13. In the Footsteps of Marco Polo
14. The Middle Ages: Feudal Life - Great summaries organised by theme
15. Exploration through the Ages
16. World History Medieval Timeline
17. Timeline of the Middle Ages - Wikipedia
18. Medieval History Overview
19. Medieval Realms - Great pictures and summaries from the British Library, organised by theme
Events (850 years ago today): 1167 - Battle of Monte Porzio: A Roman army supporting Pope Alexander III is defeated by Christian of Buch and Rainald of Dassel.
Events (150 years ago today): 1867 - The Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 ("the Compromise") is born through Act 12, which establishes the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Births (100 years ago today): 1917 - John F. Kennedy, American lieutenant and politician, 35th President of the United States (d. 1963)
Births (50 years ago today): 1967 - Noel Gallagher, English singer-songwriter and guitarist
Deaths (100 years ago today): 1917 - Kate Harrington, American poet and educator (b. 1831)
Commemorations:International Day of UN Peacekeepers
RSS Feed | Full week | Get Widget
Design Tubular Timeline Towers for chronological understanding
Develop persuasive vocabulary with a biased words knockout challenge
History in your pocket: Coins as sources
Student bookmark: Key vocabulary for essay writing
Use EyeSay! to give visual feedback on student essays
Medieval Realms: Revision quiz
Nazi Germany: Play your dates right! quiz
World War One: Interactive revision quiz
The Treaty of Sevres : The Middle East
Modern World History 1870-1939: Play Your Dates Right! interactive quiz
SIMULATION The Treaties of Sevres and Lausanne: How successfully did Lloyd George handle Turkey?
How important was the role of women in the Civil Rights movement? source work
IGCSE History Revision 2017
Rights and Protest Sourcework Sample: The Rivonia Trial
Model Essay: Analyse the successes and failures of Nixons domestic policies